Advantages and Disadvantages of Hydro Station are detailed below.
- Cheap operation: The Hydro power plant, turbines runs on water therefore no fuel require. This makes it cheapest type of operation.
- Low Maintenance Price: In the power plant no heating or cooling system is require with uniform flow of water, the operation is uniform. This leads to the less maintenance cost.
- Fuel Conservation: Generation of electrical energy through hydro power plant make use of the kinetic and potential energy associated with water, so conserve fossils fuels and coal which are in limited quantity.
- Less workers: To operate a hydro power plant less numbers of technical personnel are require as compared to other power plants.
- Eco friendly: there is no smoke, exhaust gases in hydroelectric power fixed frequency.
- Stand by Losses: There are no standby losses in hydro power plant. They can run up and synchronized in a few minutes. It can take up load equally.
- Robustness (مضبوطی): these plants are more robust than thermal power plant.
- Long Life: The life of hydroelectric power plant is about 50 years. As compared to the thermal power plants with the life, span of 25 to 30 years.
- Multi-Purpose Project: Dams store water, which can be well utilize for fishing, water transport, flood control and irrigation.
- Efficiency: The efficiency of hydro power plant remain within the tolerable limits as there is comparatively less wear and tear. While the efficiency of thermal power plant decreases with the passage of time.
- Water Availabilities: Hydro Power Plant generate power with water. When the water available is less due to dry conditions, the low power will be generate.
- Low Firm Capacity: Hydro power plants have low firm capacity, so they have to back up by thermal power plant.
- High Capital Cost: Hydro Power plants require large civil engineering works. Thus, the capital cost of hydro plants per kW is much higher than that of steam power plants. Due to huge structure, construction time of civil works is large.
- Large erecting time: The reservoir of water is covers large area. It takes very long time to identify the area and provide livelihood to those persons who evacuate from the area. Large hydroelectric stations may take 7-8 years for its completion.